Thursday, November 20, 2014

Oh Baby

I've completed 2 baby quilts almost simultaneously.

A fellow violinist at work is expecting her first child, so this quilt is for her.













I have a basic formula for baby quilts that I've been using for awhile:

1 charm pack (Moda's "Apple Jack" for this quilt)-- 42 5" squares.  Using a complete package of precuts means no waste and no leftovers.

Fill in with 22 squares from my own stash for a total of 64 squares. Sew 8 rows of 8 blocks.

Buy 1 1/4 yards backing fabric for a 1 piece back.


yield:  1 quilt approximately 36" square

My friends' "official" due date is January 3, but judging by what she looked like at rehearsal yesterday. . . well, let's just say I'm glad this quilt is done!

I used the same formula for this quilt for my Etsy store:



Same pattern, different fabric:

The charm pack was Riley Blake "Oh Boy".













Luckily for me, this cute animal/hexagon print looked good on the back of both quilts.

1 comment:

  1. That's a handy formula - and so nice of you to make her a quilt. Your colleague is sure to feel loved. :D

    ReplyDelete